The LaVerne Krause Gallery is a student gallery located in Lawrence Hall at the University of Oregon. We exhibit talented student artists and have exciting new shows every week during the fall, winter, and spring terms. You can check out upcoming and past exhibitions here but we invite you to stop by the Laverne Krause Gallery each week to see the different exhibitions in person!
10 AM – 6PM Monday-Thursdays
10 AM – 3PM Fridays
Receptions: Thursdays 5 – 6pm (Become friends with us on Facebook to receive invites to the weekly receptions)
History of the LVK:
The School of Architecture and Allied Arts has always had some kind of exhibition space in Lawrence Hall. There was not an official gallery in the school in the 1920s and 30’s but usually, hallways or the dean’s office lobby (now 115 Lawrence Hall lobby) served the school’s exhibition needs. In 1968 the Department of Fine and Applied Arts decided, in spite of severely limited space, that the need for student display opportunities was sufficient to justify conversion of its venerable painting and drawing studio into an exhibition space and “Gallery 141” was born. It wasn’t until the 1989-91 that AAA building project provided the opportunity to create a more proper exhibition space. The current form of the gallery was created in 1990 and was named in memory of Printmaking Professor LaVerne Krause (1924-1987). LaVerne, who had experienced the frustration of finding spaces to exhibit in the early stages of her own career, frequently purchased student work and was an outspoken advocate for their exhibition opportunities. Ulysses and Ann Cheng, loving supporters of LaVerne and her work, are responsible for a major contribution toward the construction of the present gallery. Uly Cheng was a student of Art and Architecture and on the Board of Visitors at the University of Oregon.
Professor Krause (1924-1987) was a member of the faculty of the University of Oregon Department of Fine and Applied Arts from 1966 to 1986. The department is now called the Department of Art. Krause has been recognized for her outstanding contributions as an educator, studio artist, and arts activist. As a teacher, she developed an excellent printmaking program at the UO, along with colleague Ken Paul, that has attracted students from throughout the world. Krause received her bachelor’s degree in art from the University of Oregon in 1946 and studied with Jack Wilkinson.
LaVerne Krause had a pronounced influence upon a great many people, organizations, and institutions on local, regional, and national levels. She served as national president of the then-new Artists Equity organization and was a staunch advocate of younger, nascent artists, many of whom had been her students. The Smithsonian Institution included her in its “Archives of American Art”. She was honored as a recipient of the 1980 Governor’s Arts Award for excellence and service to the arts in Oregon and as a recipient of the University of Oregon Distinguished Service Award. Her works are included in important private and public collections and her numerous awards, exhibitions, and contributions make her one of the most honored of the Pacific Northwest artists.